Our directors, management and members are committed to the delivery of infrastructure and programs dedicated to raising the living circumstances of the Bamaga/Northern Peninsula Area (NPA) community and creating employment opportunities.
To be eligible as a director, a candidate must have lived in Bamaga for at least five years. Five Directors are elected biennially at the Annual General Meeting by members, and the Board has the power to appoint two other directors, one of whom must have senior management and financial expertise and be independent of the community. There are four elected business Directors and one elected social Director, all of whom must be members.
BEL Directors (elected/appointed November 2019)
- Robert Poipoi, Chairperson
- Clifford Wasiu, Deputy Chairperson
- Mark Lewis, Director/Company Secretary
- Jean Williams, Director (business)
- Ibuai Jacob, Director (business)
- Leandra Newman, Director (social)
BEL is a major employer in the NPA with a staff of over 50 persons, over 80% of whom are Indigenous.